Clarke EDI Setup Form
Use of EDI in Transportation
EDI has become very popular in the transportation industry as transportation companies and load brokers are enhancing their systems to cater for EDI document exchange. The advantages for those working in the transportation industry is that simple repetitive communications can be automated allowing customer service and accounts receivables staff more time to focus on more productive/profitable tasks and provide clients with better customer service. One of the main advantages of EDI is that it eliminates manual data entry in customers’ operational and billing systems. This results in saving time and money while eliminating any costly data entry mistakes. The other advantage is that transportation companies who are EDI compliant can communicate seamlessly and electronically with all parties in the supply chain process.
Common Transaction Codes for EDI in Transportation
All data is communicated between the carrier, shipper, and the consignee in electronic EDI documents known as ANSI X12 «Transaction Sets». The most commonly used EDI Transaction Sets by Clarke are:
- 204 - Motor Carrier Load Tender: The shipper sends this transaction to the motor carrier requesting a shipment pickup. This is also called a load tender.
- 990 - Response to the Load Tender:Used by motor carriers to indicate whether it will accept shipment being offered by the shipper. This transaction is generated in response to a 204 transaction.
- 214 - Shipment Status Message:The carrier sends this transaction set to the shipper and/or consignee to provide up-to-date information on your shipments. Data includes dates, times, locations, route and reference numbers.
- 210 - Freight Details and Invoice:The carrier sends this transaction set to the customer or third party as an invoice to request payment for services rendered. It provides detailed information of charges.
- 820 - Payment Order/Remittance Advice:The payer (shipper or your third-party payer) sends this transaction set to the carrier to provide the carrier remittance/payment information.
- 997 - Functional Acknowledgement:This transaction set is sent in response to each transaction set received to indicate acceptance by shipper, carrier or payee. It is an acknowledgement by any party to another party of data received.